Champaign, IL – University of Illinois Community Credit Union (UICCU) has remained operational throughout the entire pandemic. “Like many businesses, we were forced to adjust – but our priority to serve our membership remained the same” CEO, Chris Harlan, stated.
Since March, UICCU has implemented numerous COVID-19 member relief programs that have resulted in:
- Over 1,500 hardship loan payment extensions on $17M in balances
- More than $800,000 in 0% financial assistance loans granted to those affected by stay at home orders, layoffs, closures, or illness
- Offered mortgage forbearance options to members, and refinanced 134 mortgages with historic low rates totaling $23 million
- $250,000 in eliminated and reduced fees to membership
- Added a certified credit union financial counselor available for our members at no cost
- Honored our commitment to deliver a better digital banking experience, and launched a brand new digital online banking platform in June 2020
- Opened additional services in the drive while lobbies were closed
- Expanded Mobile Deposit limits
UICCU also worked diligently to protect employees when social distancing and stay-at-home orders began; providing necessary resources to work remotely. Approximately 40% of UICCU staff members are set-up to work remotely for the first time. “It was nothing short of incredible to see how quickly our staff mobilized to take calls, complete loans, and answer messages,” Harlan said. “Their attitude, energy, and positivity are really what has kept all of us going and will continue to keep us moving forward and growing during this difficult time.”
U of I Community Credit Union is a not-for-profit, member-owned cooperative that provides a wide range of financial products and services to anyone who lives or works in Champaign, Ford, Piatt, Douglas, Vermilion, Coles, Dewitt, Edgar, Iroquois, Moultrie, and Sangamon, IL counties as well as University of Illinois employees, Carle employees and other select employee groups. UICCU was named one of the 2017, 2018, 2019, & 2020 Best Places to Work in Illinois, 2019 & 2020 Best Credit Union to Work for, and 2019 Tops in the 217 Winner for Banks/Credit Unions. To learn more, visit uoficreditunion.org.